Why it is so important:
- Ensure employees of acquired company are
welcomed, engaged and updated on the
integration strategy and planning.
- Give visibility within the acquiring company on the
- Engage the integration team through regular updates
- As integration team consists of people joining from
Sell-side as part of integration team.
Successful integration has a critical aspect of Internal communication stream hence below are few best practices that works well.
- Ensure that the internal communication leader is engaged from the moment the integration team is defined, and involved in all key integration meetings.
- Right size the team depending on the scope – with dedicated full-time support.
- Align on a common messaging platform with Marcom and Public Relations (PR).This decision must be taken early.
- Work hand in hand with change management and ensure that the communication plan is part of the overall change management strategy.
- Develop a clear plan and schedule of communications aligned with the integration
milestones, especially for Day 1, and involve Executive members or sponsors to deliver
key messages through recorded video or live.
- Involve and leverage the communications managers in the countries and impacted
functions and businesses.
- Set up feedback loops with the impacted employees – surveys, focus groups, analytics.
- Ensure a regular cadence of communication using consistent channels and tools.
- Segment the audiences to understand the level of content that each need.
- Develop a plan with Integration Leaders for functional audience.(through live sessions or newsletter).
- Internal Communication should under Integration Management office level to keep a
transversal view of the project.
If the integration budget does not allow to have dedicated resources, the PMO, Internal Communication and Change Management roles could be combined into one role.
Reusable good practices:
- Digital welcome kit
- Welcome events
- Integration newsletter
- Integration live session
- Communications plan and schedule
- Too many communications from different sources
(in addition to the internal communication one)
- Tardiness of communications
- Unneeded actions resulting from a lack of communication
- HR, IT, PR and Marketing communication stream.
- Internal communication function
- Integration functions leaders